Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Spring Clean-up and Planting






Redbush has been busy in the past few weeks cleaning leaves, hauling them away, and chopping branches. She and Mr. Redbush didn't realize how much they had accumulated in the years until they started hauling away stuff to the dump. It took a few loads on the big trailer, and they can now see their backyard again, but with every load they notice more. Redbush and Mr. Redbush finally planted their garden, just in time before last night's rain. The rain was much needed after the long dry spell they've had. Redbush has picked some bedding plants for planting, but, with the cool nights may still wait a while before she tackles that. She of course always goes overboard on the flower pots, and beds. She has left you with some shots of what she will be planting. She has to pick plants that thrips don't particularly like seeing as they come back to her place every year. She wonders what your favourites are. All of you have a great rest of the week and weekend!

8 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

A colourful feast for the eyes.

Redbush said...

Thanks, Leah! Now its's all the planting. I can't decide what to plant where!

David Cranmer said...

I've started having the dump come to me. Last summer, I yanked everything out of my basement and answered an ad in the local paper. A removal guy showed up the next day and for sixty bucks everything was cleared. I think I'll do the same thing this year.

solarity said...

I'm not buying any bedding plants this year, since I need to spend all my planting energy getting perennials moved from the old house. You make me grateful I've never had thrips!

Mary Anne in Kentucky

the Bag Lady said...

Your flowers look great! And I love the pictures of the pup.

Redbush said...

What a great idea, David! I wish I had that option. Unfortunately out here in the country we're kind of stuck with taking it ourselves. Now I'll bet your house looks great!

Redbush said...

I'm wishing now that I would have left the plants for a week or so. It's snowing here as we speak, and has been all day. The poor plants have to weather the dark garage. They say once you have thrips tat they're hard to get rid of. The only treatment I haven't tried is spraying the flowers with nicotine as one book suggested. That would certainly not make me want to go near them either!

Redbush said...

Thanks, Bag Lady! Now the work begins!