Sunday, March 15, 2009

Rugged Wilderness

As promised, Redbush is posting a few of her artworks that she is donating for the banquet when the governor general arrives.  A lot of her artworks consist of subjects taken as photos from an area that she used to spend a lot of time camping at in the summer.  The gold trees, tamaracks,  seen in the picture are some Redbush's favourites.  They are the only evergreens that she knows of that change colour in the fall, and lose their needles.  She would camp for a month in this area taking photos of landscapes and wild animals that she saw.  This area is known as the Wild Kakwa, and is a long grueling trip by truck and camper in the summer when the road is in one of its better conditions.  Even in its best condition, the road has many potholes, is gravel, and when muddy can be a nightmare with a truck and camper trailer.  For the past recent years, Redbush and her hubby haven't ventured out to camp there because the roads have been almost impassable even with a pick-up and have been told that the gravel is almost nil in spots with holes big enough to lose your truck in.  Redbush has collected many photos of the area and hopes to be able to venture out there someday again.  She is especially attracted to the area because of its ruggedness and remoteness.  She is presently sketching one of the photos, that she has left you with here, which is going to become her next work of art on display next month in a contest that she is entering in a gallery in town.   She hopes that you  had a great weekend with fabulous weather!  Ours is going to pot as I write this with wind and blowing snow! 

6 comments:

solarity said...

Yum! There are some things that only water color can do.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Redbush said...

Thanks, Solarity! I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. I actually work in acrylics and oils, too, but find that watercolors can be very rewarding when you get them to work right for you. I'm still learning!

the Bag Lady said...

Great stuff, Redbush!
I don't know what the hell is going on with my computer today - I've been here twice now and started to leave a comment but my computer crashed. (Not only here, though - my browser has crashed about 20 times today... sigh.)

Redbush said...

Thanks for the lift, Bag Lady! I need all the lift I can get! I working on the contest picture and hope that I will be able to finish it to my liking. Sorry to hear about your computer. Would it be a virus of some kind? Hopefully not! Good luck with that.

Leah J. Utas said...

Love the work.

Redbush said...

Thanks, Leah! I don't think this part of the country has much over yours when it comes to scenery! I'd like to import yours to my photo gallery!