Monday, May 4, 2009

Winning Second Thrice; Perennials

It's a beautiful spring day in Redbush's world.   Except for a bitterly cool wind, the weather would be perfect.  Last week Redbush went to a gala for her artwork entry, and won second for the third year in a row.  She wishes it could have been first this time, but knows that second is definitely a good win!  She is going to attempt to post a picture again of the painting, as she lost the last one someplace in her photo file!  Yesterday, she buried some water hoses in her flower beds, and today has to try to finish the process along with cleaning all the leaves off her perennial beds.  The neighbors have some huge Russian poplars located close to her acreage fence.  She is sure none of the leaves, or branches end up in their yard because Redbush's yard is full of them.  She has now spent three days raking and hauling leaves away to the compost.  Another day won't make much difference. Good exercise, but, oh, her aching back!  Redbush has been looking at perennial books to see what plants might be a good addition to her beds.  She has been considering the following plants:
pinks, bitterroot, rockcress, saxifrage, sea thrift, stonecrop, phlox( garden, and Douglas) tickseed, campion, yarrow,  and verbena.  If any of you have any special knowledge of any of these plants, or hints, please feel free to help Redbush out.  She hopes you have a wonderful sunny day! 

9 comments:

Hilary said...

Big congrats on the win of second. It's a lovely painting. You don't want my gardening advice.. it usually results in vegetation death. ;)

Redbush said...

Thanks, Hilary! I know what you mean about the plants. I thought I had inherited some of my mom's green thumb, but, lately I haven't had much luck!

the Bag Lady said...

That picture is gorgeous, Redbush. You really deserved to win first, but second isn't bad.

I'm not sure about what plants to grow - my thumb is a very pale green, almost grey....

:)

solarity said...

I love the texture in that picture--my hand reached out to the screen before my brain could tell it that was useless.

The only plants on that list I've grown from that list are tickseed, which I love, and which the birds loved too, and even so it survived, and yarrow, which only lasted three years before disappearing.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Redbush said...

Appreciate your input, Bag Lady! I'm really not a contest person, so, am happy with second. I will have to decide on short and tall perennials to plant. Something tells me that your thumb is a bright green!

Redbush said...

Thanks so much, Solarity! I appreciate your comment about my painting. i really did work on it a lot longer than I envisioned! I have never planted either one of those plants, so, am going to have to try them , and see if I have the luck that you do. I realize your climate is so much different than mine. Drat!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Congrats!

And how frustrating it must be to spend all that time raking other people's leaves! At least it's good exercise?

Redbush said...

Thanks so much, Solarity! I will definitely consider tickseed! I'm been reading up on each of them as to soil, watering, nutrients, so, hopefully if I get new ones, I won't screw them up by doing the wrong thing! I already have sweet williams, California poppies, and lilies which do well. Here goes!

Redbush said...

Thanks for stopping, Crabby! I appreciate the compliment! Yes, the leaves do get exhausting, but, other than having a hurricane take the trees down, I guess I'm going to have to live with it!